Jess Puccinelli is the owner of Haute Hope, a socially-conscious gifting studio based in Los Angeles. Her company creates gift boxes using products that give back to a good cause or positively impact the world.
In this episode, we discuss…
- What she did to get up to speed quickly when she started Haute Hope, a product-based business (something she had zero experience in).
- What book we both think every woman should read.
- How her Mother’s guidance during her first job as a babysitter influenced how she approached future jobs.
- How her athletic background helped her land her first two jobs after college.
Listen to an update of Jess' story here.
Find Haute Hope online
Find Jess online
The Path: How Jess Did It
As Jess’ career progressed, the skills she developed to be successful in those roles include: how to write press releases/copywriting ◆ time management ◆ managing clients ◆ managing/establishing relationship ◆ budget ◆ how to price ◆ how to order wholesale ◆ how to sale and close ◆ managing inventory.
Career advice to her younger self
Start the side businesses you wanted to start. All those ideas you had, go for them. Take the steps and get comfortable being uncomfortable, and really get comfortable in entrepreneurship because you’re going to need it.
My Thoughts After the Conversation
I learned Jess went to UT Knoxville on a rowing scholarship. I didn’t discover this until later in our chat and I wished I would have covered this more. Mainly how she got into rowing because when we chatted about her high school years, she mentioned playing basketball and running track, but made no mention of rowing. So I have lots of questions.
What I learned
There's a news museum in DC appropriately named Newseum.
Up-level your game
Haute Hope started off as a side hustle but it became a full-fledged business. If you are toying with the idea of starting a side hustle, the book “Side Hustle” by Chris Guillebeau is a great resource (also his podcast). Links can be found in the “Mentioned in this Episode” section below.
If Jess was a song, she would be…
Mentioned in the Episode
- Jess/Haute Hope profile on HLN (Robin Meade)
- Sparkfest (a one-time event) by Megan Sette
- CliftonStrengths assessment (formerly Gallup StrengthsFinder®
- Trail Running and Ultra Running documentaries (a YouTube Playlist)
- Shopify: Website
- Sula by Toni Morrison*
- Redemption Song by Bob Marley
- Nacho Libre (movie)
*An asterisk means the item is an affiliate link. Click here to learn what that means.