Allison Carpio is a Sales Copywriter for health e-commerce entrepreneurs. Allison has designed her life in a way that she's able to travel internationally quite frequently (Spain, Peru, Columbia, and Argentina in the past year) and stay for extended periods of times in the cities she travels to.
In this episode, we discuss…
- Her process for writing and producing high-quality work.
- Her hack for learning how to develop empathy when she’s writing marketing materials.
- How she used two volunteer roles/projects to transition into a new industry.
- How she prepares a plan when she’s interviewing with companies (the research and presentation of a plan).
Find Allison online
The Path: How Allison Did It
With the decisions a lot of actions come with that. ~Allison Carpio
As Allison’s career progressed, the skills she developed to be successful in those roles – outside of writing persuasive copy – include: Google and LinkedIn adwords ◆ prioritization ◆ networking ◆ building relationships.
Career advice to her younger self
Your college education does not matter. Start as early as you possibly can and invest in yourself. It's not too late where you are right now (or too early either). Always focus on your personal growth no matter what the rules are out there and no matter what some people are telling you. Make sure you choose yourself and focus on your best self.
My Thoughts After the Conversation
More people are opting for freelancing/consulting work and, since Allison has a copywriting business, I wish I would have asked her how she determines her rates. And if the rate has increased over time and any of the psychology behind how she charges her clients.
What I learned
I, like Allison, have found volunteering at events to be a great way to network and connect with others. Allison did volunteer work for Code for Sacramento and clean.ME. She used that experience and the testimonials to get a job at a higher level than she thought she was qualified for at the time. Allison advice, if you chose to volunteer, is to make sure you get something out of it. In her case, she got a fantastic testimonial from clean.ME but she also thinks she should have charge a reduced rate for her services.
Up-level your game
Allison has figured out what works for her in order to produce great copy for her clients. The books Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and On Writing by Stephen King are excellent resources, if writing is a flatside you would like to nurture. Links to both books are listed in the Mentioned in this Episode section.
If Allison was a song, she would be…
Mentioned in the Episode
- Craigslist (to find jobs)
- Find Your Dream Job course by Ramit Sethi
- Copy Chief by Kevin Rogers
- Gathered Table: Website | iOS app
- Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists by Lisa Nola*
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott*
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King*
- Slack (her peer supports uses it for communications & support)
- Ali Wong: Instagram | Baby Cobra Netflix comedy special
*An asterisk means the item is an affiliate link. Click here to learn what that means.